This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re a small business owner we think that newest benefit just added to the Business Platinum Card® from American Express may make it the best business card on the market today. Book any First or Business Class flight and get 50% of your Membership Rewards® points back. That means you can redeem for a 100,000 point flight today and you will get 50,000 of those points back later That’s half off a business class fare, making it more like cashing in your points for coach.
We admit that at first glance the 100,000 sign up bonus may look a little steep especially considering the $15,000 required spending threshold in the first three months. But if you’re like many of us, and could use a few computer upgrades or a new piece of equipment to jumpstart your business – it may make sense to bite the bullet now. What’s more, you’ll be able to almost immediately cash in those points, and take advantage of a cross-country business class seat for half the required Membership Rewards points. That’s less than half of what it would cost for a flight in “Coach Plus” with the perks and pampering of Business Class.
Among the options that we found was this round-trip flight from ATL to LAX. You can take a portion of your sign-up bonus, redeem 93,319 Membership Rewards points for a flight, and then American Express will reimburse your account for 46,660 of them within four weeks. Not too shabby.
Another valuable improvement to the card is the 1.5 Points per dollar on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more (that’s an extra half point per dollar). You can earn up to 1 million additional points per calendar year for every purchase made over $5,000. So when making your initial purchases to obtain the 100,000 point sign up bonus keep this in mind.
Make 3 large purchases of $5,000 each – you’ll not only get the 100,000 points, you’ll also benefit from an additional 7,500 extra Membership Rewards Points.
The other long-standing superior benefits that make this card shine are remaining intact as well. The lounge access is unbeatable – especially if you travel to airports with Centurion Lounges. Plus, the annual $200 airline fee credit, the TSA reimbursement, and the Starwood Preferred Guest automatic Gold Status can pay for your $450 annual fee over and over again if you travel.
If you’re like us, and are already an “AmEx Business Convert” know that you are automatically eligible for the 50% airline bonus and the 1.5 Point bonus on $5,000 purchases. And, despite the fact that we can’t figure out a way to take advantage of the new member sign up bonus, we believe that when it comes to business perks you can’t beat this card.
Other articles that Point Savvy recommends:
Are you a Membership Rewards junkie, and/or do you have an AmEx Platinum story to share? If so, Point Savvy welcomes your stories. Please feel free to share anything or everything with us below.
The Enhanced Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points. Offer expires January 25, 2017.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- New: Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That’s 1.5 points per dollar, on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- Plus, continue to get one point per dollar for qualifying purchases under $5,000.
- New 50% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 50% of the points back
- New: You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply