Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
True, some loyalty points only get you discounted plane tickets or hotel upgrades. But Starwood’s Preferred Customer program gets you tennis superstar Andy Roddick.
Today, Starwood makes available one of its most popular SPG Moments by giving members the opportunity to redeem Starpoints for once-in-a-lifetime VIP experiences at the 2016 U.S. Open, including access to media tours, courtside seats to the finals and the aforementioned Andy Roddick (via a personalized tennis lesson). SPG Moments gives you the inside track to the U.S. Open, which is from Aug. 29 to Sept. 11 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, NY.
We at Point Savvy think Starwood’s Preferred Customer program offers one of the very best values in the points world because of the SPG Moments, which offer card holders unique culinary, cultural and sports experiences in exchange for points.
The U.S. Open SPG Moments work like an auction, with members being able to bid on experiences up until Aug. 6. It’s one of the most popular SPG Moments that members wait months to take advantage of, so it’s important you act now if you’re looking for a fun way to use your Starpoints.
SPG Luxury Suite packages can be purchased outright and without bidding for 50,000 Starpoints, and include two tickets to a session or match in a private suite with complimentary food and beverages. For those who prefer to join the bidding game, bids start at 25,000 for the men’s semifinal and women’s final and 35,000 for the men’s final. The opportunity to brush shoulders with today’s tennis champions translates to $1,250 for a 50,000 Starpoints package (2.5 cents per Starpoint).
Even if you’re not “luving” the U.S. Open options, but are looking for a great value in the loyalty credit card world, we highly recommend the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express. With a generous sign-up bonus of 25,000 points after you spend $3,000 in the first three months, you’ll be well on your way to cashing in for an amazing experience like those at the U.S. Open. You’ll also earn 2x points per dollar on Starwood stays and 1x points on all other purchases. The annual fee is waived for the first year, and costs you $95.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Get 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- Get free nights at over 1,200 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Visit our credit card partner’s site in order to learn more and securely apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
$0 first year, then $95