This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking for the best way to save money on travel, look into combining the new Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM Card with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card for a winning combination.
Get even more by using two Chase cards instead of one!
With Chase Sapphire Preferred® you’ll earn 2X points on all of your travel and dining purchases. When you pair Sapphire Preferred® with the new Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM for all of your other purchases, you’ll earn 1.5% cash back, which you can easily convert to Ultimate Rewards® Points to get the biggest bang for your buck. This is a perfect card combination that will keep things simple while you earn more travel rewards than you would using Sapphire Preferred® alone.
Earning 1.5% cash back is new from Chase, but what’s really unique is that the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM can be transferred to Sapphire Preferred® and converted to Ultimate Rewards, which means your cash back will be worth 1.25 cents per point. What’s more, with Sapphire Preferred® you can transfer your rewards to Chase Partner loyalty programs such as United, Southwest, Hyatt, and Marriott, making your rewards worth up to 2.1 cents vs. 1 cent – making this an even better value.
Here’s how you can earn over 100,000 Ultimate Rewards® Points within the first year of card membership, using both cards.
First, sign up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® card and you’ll be eligible for 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months of being a cardmember. Add an additional cardmember to your account and you’ll earn another 5,000 bonus points when they make a purchase within the first 3 months.
Next, sign up for the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM and earn a sign-up bonus of $150 (15,000 points) when you spend $500 in the first three months, plus an additional $25 bonus (2,500 points) when you add an authorized user and have them make a purchase in the first three months. Transfer this bonus to your Sapphire Preferred® card and begin your journey with 17,500 Ultimate Rewards bonus points. It may not seem like a lot but when it is used as travel rewards with Chase partners, it could be worth $362 making this a much better value than if you redeemed it for the $150 cash back.
Now, let’s take the average spending of $2,300 a month on a credit card and multiply that by 12 months – that’s $27,600 per year. Of that amount, an average family of 4 spends $4,580 per year on vacations, and $2,505 on dining out. If you use Chase Sapphire Preferred® for all your dining and travel expenses, you’ll earn 2X for each dollar spent giving you a total of 14,170 points. Then, use the Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM Card for all of your other expenses (the remaining total of $20,515) and with the 1.5X earn you will accumulate $308 cash back. Then transfer it to your Sapphire Preferred® card for a value of 30,772 Ultimate Rewards® bonus points.
This will give you a whopping total of 117,442 Ultimate Rewards® by the end of the first year if you apply for both cards today. That’s worth more than $1,468 (2.1 cents vs. 1 cent), and you’ll be well on your way to planning your next vacation all with no annual fee the first year.
Apply for both today, and start saving!
Why we think it’s imperative that you carry two cards from Chase
The very best way to get the maximum from a cash back card is by converting your points to travel rewards. And you can only do this together with the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the NEW Chase Freedom Unlimited. It’s a phenomenal deal!
Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM
- 1.5% cash back offer that’s easy to track and redeem
- No Annual Fee
- Easily convert your cash back to Ultimate Rewards if you have another Chase card
- Needs less-than-excellent credit
- No rotating categories to keep track of
- Not the highest flat-rate cash back card
- No bonus categories
Get a $150 cash rewards bonus after you spend $500 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening.
Chase Freedom UnlimitedSM
- NEW! Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase – it’s automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 14.24 – 23.24%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Redeem for cash – any amount, anytime
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and in good standing
- No annual fee
0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
Chase Sapphire Preferred®
- Earn unlimited 2X points on travel and dining
- No annual fee the first year
- Needs excellent credit
Get 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening.
Chase Sapphire Preferred®
- Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named a ‘Best Credit Card’ for Travel Rewards by MONEY Magazine
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Sleek metal card design
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- $0 foreign transaction fees, plus chip-enabled for enhanced security and wider acceptance when used at a chip card reader
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value – that means 1,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points
- Travel confidently with premium Travel Protection Benefits, including Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Trip Delay Reimbursement and more
16.24% – 23.24% variable
$0 first year; then $95