This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just last week we touted the benefits of the enhanced Business Platinum Card® from American Express. We were especially excited about the 50% airline bonus that gives you half your points back when you use Membership Rewards® points to book either a business or first-class ticket. Yesterday we put the new benefit to work when looking into booking flights for three from Baltimore to Atlanta to visit family.
We first looked into using Delta Sky Miles to book our flights. It would have cost 20,000 miles for each round trip coach flight, or 60,000 miles total. To compare options, we signed into our Membership Rewards® points to book either a business or first-class ticket. Yesterday we put the new benefit to work when looking into booking flights for three from Baltimore to Atlanta to account, and saw that if we used our Business Platinum Card® from American Express points on similar flights on Delta we could fly First Class for less than coach. Each First Class ticket ended up costing 16,500 points after the 50% refund. Before the 50% airline bonus, each seat was 33,000 points. Three First Class tickets were 49,500 points.
Booking coach with Delta would be 20,000 Delta Skymiles per person.
Booking first class would be 33,019 Membership Rewards miles and 50% would be refunded. A total of 16,509 miles per passenger would need to be used for first class.
We think that’s a great value, and incredible Point Savvy on our part.
Do you have an American Express Membership Rewards story to share? We would love to hear from you.
Other articles that Point Savvy recommends:
The Enhanced Business Platinum Card® from American Express OPEN
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points. Offer expires January 25, 2017.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- New: Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That’s 1.5 points per dollar, on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- Plus, continue to get one point per dollar for qualifying purchases under $5,000.
- New 50% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 50% of the points back
- New: You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply