This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Starwood Preferred Guest program and Marriott merger is now closed and Marriott launched the option to link accounts and transfer points between SPG and Marriott Rewards. I decided to take the plunge and link my SPG and Marriott accounts together after reading a number of blogs which made it look like it would take a lot of steps. Quite the opposite. I signed into my SPG account at SPG.com. The landing page announcement was quiet and understated. “We’re linked – join us” with a button below to link accounts – so I clicked the button. Step 1 done.
I landed on the page above and clicked the next button to verify my information. My Marriott account was part of the verification. I did not have to look up my account, it was already there. I clicked the link to verify. Step 2 done.
I now have combined both of my accounts, Marriott and SPG, and will see what unfolds in the days ahead. But for now, I can go to Aruba and stay at a Marriott or Ritz Carlton, as the the only Starwood hotel, The Westin, has been closed for the last four years. I wonder if I stay book a room with Starpoints for a stay at a Marriott, will these hotel stays count toward my Platinum status? Luckily I have hit Platinum status this year so going into 2017 I know I am Platinum. And now, I am Platinum Elite status with Marriott.
Learning rewards programs is like keeping up with digital devices these days. I just hope that I can learn how this program will work and continue to stay on track for Lifetime Platinum before the merger is finalized. Fingers crossed and making hotel reservations.
H/T: The Points Guy
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 25,000 Bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free nights at over 1,300 hotels & resorts in over 100 countries.
- Redeem Starpoints® for free flights on over 150 airlines with SPG Flights – all with no blackout dates. Some hotels and resorts have mandatory service charges.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and conditions apply
$0 first year, then $95