This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What a better time to add a new member to your family than the holiday season. Whether you are 4 or 74, animal lovers everywhere are welcoming new furry friends into our homes and into our hearts with wagging tails and purrs galore. They make us smile, make great companions, and can lighten up even the dreariest of days with a wet kiss or a cuddle.
That said, many say that money can’t buy you love, but Petfinder.com proves otherwise. You can buy a bundle of love anywhere from $400 for adopted pets to upwards of $2,000 for purebreds from top breeders. So, yes, in many cases four-legged love has a rich price tag. Plus, purchasing a pet is just the beginning.
Other expenses include one-time expenses like spaying or neutering and a carrying crate, plus annual expenses like food, medical exams, and toys. Also, will you need to hire a dog walker because of your work schedule? That’s $10-15 a walk. The dog may need obedience training. Vet bills that include annual check-ups and vaccinations, can be in the hundreds of dollars. If you can’t travel with your dog or cat, you’ll need to pay for a kennel or pet sitter – about $25-$75 a day depending on your options. Even if Amtrak or an airline carrier allows pets, they all charge an additional fee of $25-$100.
All these expenses add up. The first year of pet ownership can cost more than $1,500, according to a report by moneyunder30.com. Here are expenses break down according to the report.
One-time pet expenses
Adoption Process: Dog: $400 / Cat: $75
Breeder Fees: Dog: $1,500 / Cat: $800
Spaying or Neutering: Dog: $200 / Cat: $145
Initial Medical Exam: Dog: $70 / Cat: $130
Collar or Leash: Dog: $30 / Cat: $10
Litter Box: Cat: $25
Scratching Post: Cat: $15
Crate: Dog: $95 depending on size
Carrying Crate: Dog: $60 / Cat: $40
Training: Dog: $110
Total One-time (Adoptive) Costs: Dog: $965 / Cat: $440
Annual pet expenses
Food: Dog: $120/ Cat: $145
Annual Medical Exams: Dog: $235 / Cat: $130
Litter: Cat: $200
Toys and Treats: Dog: $55 / Cat: $25
License: Dog: $15
Pet Health Insurance: Dog: $225 / Cat: $175
Miscellaneous: Dog: $45 / Cat: $30
Total Annual Costs: Dog: $695 / Cat: $705
Best credit cards for pet owners offer more back on a regular basis.
A great value for your pet spending is a travel rewards card. The Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard® earns 2X miles on every single purchase. This card makes earning miles easy and redeeming even easier for free travel on any airline or hotel. Combine your bonus miles valued at $500 along with the monthly spend of an average pet owner – this card will have you planning your next vacation in no time. An extra value is you’ll get 5% of your miles back to use for your next redemption. You won’t even have to worry about pet fees for traveling or paying for a pet sitter with the cash back and travel rewards you earn with this card.
Here’s what we like about the card:
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days – that’s enough to redeem for a $500 travel statement credit, and easy to do with one-time purchases for pets that can be upwards of $1,000.
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases.
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem.
- Redeem for travel or cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Your redemption values will vary.
- No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country.
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months for each Balance Transfer made within 45 days of account opening. After that, a variable APR will apply, currently 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99%, depending on your creditworthiness.
- $0 Annual Fee first year; then $89.
Citi® Double Cash Card earns you TWICE on every purchase. Make your purchases and earn 1% cash back. Then pay off the balances and earn another 1% cash back. Use it for pet food, toys and treats, and vet bills. You’re not limited to any type of category making this a very simple solution to earning more cash back. By carrying this card you will be making a simple lifestyle change for the better.
Here’s what we like about the card:
- Earn cash back twice on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back.
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.49% – 23.49% based on your creditworthiness.
- Click ‘here‘ to see the applicable balance transfer fee and how making a balance transfer impacts interest on purchases.
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee.
Welcoming a pet into your life is a wonderful experience, and although pet ownership isn’t free, it’s worth it. And with the right credit card, you’ll save on purchases you were already going to have to make.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days – that’s enough to redeem for a $500 travel statement credit
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- Redeem for travel or cash back statement credits, gift cards and merchandise. Redemption values vary
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months on Balance Transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that, a variable APR will apply, 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Please note, there is a fee for balance transfers
0% Intro APR for 12 months
16.99%, 20.99%, or 23.99% variable
$0 first year; then $89