Baltimore became the fourth U.S. market to use British Airways’ bigger, better Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft, which departed on its first flight for London Heathrow from BWI Marshall Airport on Monday.
There are only eight Boeing 787-8 aircraft in British Airways’ fleet, so one coming to Baltimore is a big deal. The mid-size, dual-aisle jet is manufactured by Boeing, the American aerospace company. The aircraft has reduced noise levels from the engine both outside and inside the cabin, and state-of-the-art windows offer an even better experience.
The windows, which are more than 30 percent larger than those on most similarly sized airplanes, can have their brightness adjusted with the push of a button from fully transparent to completely dimmed. The 787-8 can seat 214 passengers in three classes.
“International air service is important as we work to grow and improve the business climate here in Maryland,” said Maryland Governor Larry Hogan in a press release. “British Airways is a premier global airline that provides valuable nonstop service between BWI Marshall and London.”
Customers also have on-demand personal audio and video, and increased cabin comfort with lower pressurization.
“For business and leisure travelers, London Heathrow is the single most important transatlantic international gateway,” said Ricky Smith, Chief Executive Officer of BWI Marshall Airport. “British Airways has provided our customers with renowned quality and customer service for many years. We appreciate the new Dreamliner aircraft, which will be an upgrade for our travelers.”
Passenger traffic continues to rise at BWI Marshall, and the Airport set new records this summer. July 2015 was the busiest month in the history of BWI Marshall with more than 2.3 million passengers. Much of the recent growth has been driven by large increases in international travel. International passenger traffic has risen by 31 percent in 2015.
British Airways Visa Signature®Card
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home
16.24% – 23.24% variable