This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Nothing says spring like the blooming of the cherry blossoms in the nation’s capital. Whether you decide to take a midweek getaway, or want to spend a weekend – there is lots to see and do. You can maximize your savings by being a Starwood Preferred Guest and taking advantage of all this robust rewards program and DC have to offer.
Plus, for a limited time, you can pay your birthday rate on the second night of a stay. So if you were born in 1968, your second night’s rate is $68, at participating hotels. Your rate will be confirmed at check-in.
Washington is full of great deals.
There is always free admission to any of the Smithsonian Museums, to the National Archives, and to any of the monuments. Kids of all ages can enjoy the National Zoo where they can view the newest panda cub at no cost.
Most importantly, this year’s National Cherry Blossom Festival runs March 20 through April 17. D.C.’s cherry blossom trees line the city’s Tidal Basin along the Potomac River. This is the most popular viewing spot for the blossoms — but it is not the only spot. The Chevy Chase, Maryland, neighborhood of Kenwood has 1,200 cherry trees, located just off River Road near the popular Capital Crescent Trail. The U.S. National Arboretum and Anacostia Park are two other locations where you can catch a glimpse of the pink-hued trees. American University in Northwest D.C. has 30 cherry trees at the East Quad Building. They were planted as an expression of AU-Korean friendship in 1943 by the exiled president of Korea.
Book your hotels with Starwood Properties
Starting at just $149 per night, this all-suite hotel is located in quaint and colonial Old Town, Alexandria. Just a stone’s throw across the river from Capital Hill, your family can take advantage of free breakfast and the walkability of your surroundings.
Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express
For a limited time you can get 35,000 bonus Starpoints® after use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. This is their highest bonus offer ever and it ends 3/30/2016. The Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express has the highest rewards rate of any hotel credit card, with its Starpoints being the most valuable point or mile there is (at a value of about 2.3 cents per point). Starwood Preferred Guest is the program for Westin, Sheraton, W, the St. Regis and other boutique brands.
Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Get 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Receive free in-room, premium internet access. Booking requirements apply.
- Enjoy complimentary, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi on up to four devices at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.
- Get free nights at over 1,200 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries with no blackout dates. Some hotels may have mandatory service and resort charges.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Visit our credit card partner’s site in order to learn more and securely apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
$0 first year, then $95